Thursday, February 12, 2015

Just a little preaching...mainly to myself.

This started out as a Facebook post. I'm really not a writer. Or blogger. But, it ended up much longer than I thought it would. So, here it is...

I woke up with a verse on my heart:

"Above all else, guard your heart, for it is the wellspring of life." Proverbs 4:23

This is one I refer to with the kids often - especially reminding them (and myself) that once they see/hear/read something, they can't unsee/unhear/unread it. It's in their minds, and their mind will continue to process it whether they're aware of it or not.

In thinking of this, I continued to flip through and pulled out several others that spoke the same truth.

Matthew 12:34   For out of the overflow of the heart the mouth speaks.

What we fill our thoughts with will come out through our words and actions.

Mark 7:20-23   He went on: "What comes out of a man is what makes him 'unclean.' For from within, out of men's hearts, come evil thoughts, sexual immorality, theft, murder, adultery, greed, malice, deceit, lewdness, envy, slander, arrogance and folly. All of these evils come from inside..."

These are not things I want coming out. As a sinner, it will happen. But, as one who has been made righteous through the blood of Christ, the price for my soul was too high to be slave to them. What do we do about this?

Galatians 5:16  So I say, live by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the sinful nature.

Does this mean that we won't ever succumb to our sinful natures? Of course not! But that doesn't mean we shouldn't continue to intentionally strive for holiness.

Philippians 1:9-11 - And this is my prayer: that your love may abound more and more in knowledge and depth of insight, so that you may be able to discern what is best and may be pure and blameless until the day of Christ, filled with the fruit of righteousness that comes through Jesus Christ - to the glory and praise of God.

And one more from Paul - guidance in how to make that last verse happen.

Philippians 4:8 - Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable - if anything is excellent or praiseworthy - think about such things.

Galatians 5:22-23  But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control.

Those fruits. That's what I want coming out.

No comments:

Post a Comment